The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has postponed the planned evacuation of 300 Ghanaians from South Africa, which was set to happen today, May 21.
A statement issued by the Ministry said the evacuation exercise, had been deferred for a few days to allow officials to complete critical logistical and legal requirements necessary for the operation.
According to the ministry, more than 800 Ghanaians currently residing in South Africa have registered with Ghana’s High Commission in Pretoria, expressing their desire to return home due to fears over the recent wave of xenophobic attacks targeted at nationals from African countries.
“Considering the numbers involved and the South African legal conditions that have to be met, including mandatory passenger screening, multi-institutional coordination, and flight permits, the planned evacuation has been deferred by a few days to enable our High Commission to meet these evacuation conditions,” the statement said.
Read Also: Xenophobia in South Africa: Ghana to Evacuate 300 Citizens
In South Africa, meanwhile, anti-immigration groups such as “Operation Dudula have issued a June 30 deadline, threatening African foreign nationals to leave the country.