Suhum MP Cuts Sod for Multi-purpose Turf, Targets December Completion

Speaking at the sod-cutting ceremony for the project, Mr Bekoe said the facility is intended to provide young people with a structured environment to develop their talents while giving Suhum a sporting facility capable of attracting major Ghanaian clubs.

The Member of Parliament for Suhum, Frank Asiedu Bekoe, popularly known as Protozoa, has cut the sod for the construction of a multi-purpose artificial turf at the Suhum Anglican Park, in a project he says is aimed at creating opportunities for young people and raising the standard of football in the municipality.

Speaking at the sod-cutting ceremony for the project on Monday, August 17, 2026, Mr Bekoe said the facility is intended to provide young people with a structured environment to develop their talents while giving Suhum a sporting facility capable of attracting major Ghanaian clubs.

He said the project is particularly significant because of the municipality’s strong attachment to football and expressed hope that it would contribute to producing players who could eventually represent the national team.

“Football is an entertainment industry and Suhum is noted to love football. We are trying to build dreams so that in the future, we may see Suhum people as part of the Black Stars,” he said.

In addition, he indicated that the project could also help address some of the social challenges confronting young people by creating avenues for them to engage meaningfully.

He acknowledged that infrastructure alone cannot completely prevent young people from engaging in social vices, but argued that creating opportunities for productive activities such as the astro turf is an important part of the solution.

“We can’t completely prevent children from doing some vices, but we can at least create an enabling environment and avenues for the children to engage meaningfully,” he added.

- Advertisement -

The MP clarified that the project was initially expected to be supported by Ghana Gas, but the inability of the company to sign the necessary contract compelled him to rely on his portion of the Common Fund and other resources to get the project underway.

He described it as the single biggest project to be undertaken in Suhum using the MP’s Common Fund, but stressed that it should not be viewed as his personal project.

“This project isn’t mine. It’s not from my pocket. It’s public funds,” he said.

Mr Bekoe disclosed that the he would would collaborate with stakeholders to establish a management committee for the facility and urged residents to take ownership of it once completed.

The MP also used the occasion to appeal for political tolerance, insisting that the development of Suhum should take precedence over partisan differences.

He said he has no problem working with the Municipal Chief Executive despite political differences and urged political actors to recognise that the municipality is bigger than any individual party.

“Suhum is bigger than any single party, so we must all work together for the benefit of the town,” he said.

Mr Bekoe also thanked his critics, saying criticism was an important feature of democracy and could potentially encourage public officials to remain accountable. He also vowed never to intimidate nor threaten those who fiercely criticize him.

“Democracy is about jaw to jaw and not insults,” he said, adding that he would not threaten people who criticise him.

He ended by adding that he had hoped the facility would be completed before the Odwira festivities but cautioned that the desire for speed would not be allowed to compromise the quality of the work.

The contractor, George Afriyie, said his previous work and professional training informed his recommendation for the project, adding that he had been tasked with making the Suhum facility sufficiently distinctive to attract top Ghanaian clubs such as Asante Kotoko and Accra Hearts of Oak.

He explained that the turf would have multiple uses beyond football, but cautioned that its durability would ultimately depend on how well it was maintained.

According to him, the first phase of the project will involve preparation of the playing grounds, installation of floodlights and construction of wire fencing. He said he had been given December as the completion deadline and was hopeful of meeting it if funding continued to flow steadily.

Speaking on behalf of the traditional authorities, Adonten Hene Barima Ayekotse Tei said the traditional leaders are satisfied with the project and welcomed its commencement in the municipality.

He, however, urged the contractor to approach the work with diligence and honesty to ensure that the facility delivered to the people meets the expected standard.

While you are here, kindly follow our social media pages for more news on the go. You can join our WhatsApp channel here.

best of Now
for you

Get more stories like this in your box

Be updated with all the breaking news, trends and more.

More storiesfor you